Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July Goals: Plan & Prioritize

Okay, I know I start out every new-month post with something like, "can you believe the month has ended?" But...seriously. Where did June go?!? The spring has disappeared into a hot, hazy, southern summer (which, for the record, I love).

After writing my mission statement earlier this month, I decided I would change up my monthly goals. My mission statement focuses on finding balance, so this month I'm going to plan and prioritize.



At the beginning of each week I'm going to:
--Meal plan, to support eating healthy food and keeping my sugar/junk food intake in check
--Prioritize 4 things for each day: 2 things I have to do (like laundry or cleaning the bathroom), 1 thing to do with my family (something as adventurous as a day trip or as simple as an extra bedtime story) and 1 thing to do for myself (
--Plan out my workouts. I'm focusing more on strength training and less on cardio this month because race season is reaaaalllly slow (see hot, hazy southern summer above). I want to be ready to jump into half marathon training in a few months.

This may be overkill planning for me. I don't know yet. But I do know that I every week I end up with a to-do list a mile long and nothing ever gets checked off, because nothing on it is ever fun. So I'll try this and see how it works. Of course, I want to make sure I don't get too rigid--the best summer memories happen on a whim, and I don't want to take that spontaneity out of my life.



A penny for your thoughts: Are you a planner? Or do you go with the flow each day?

2 comments:

  1. I have been horrible with goals and planning both. It's SO hard to get back in the swing of things when you have had that huge change in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 4 things as a priority in a day. It seems do-able and not so insurmountable. You know me and my ridiculously long lists. (They get too scary in one place, so I write a daily post it note. That way I can throw it away when I don't do it all.)

    ReplyDelete